There are many additional resources for fortification program practices, including best practices, guidelines for setting standards, evidence for public health impact, and policy endorsements for advocacy. If you have any questions on any of the materials on this page, or have suggestions for improvement, please get in touch.
Links to fortification resources are categorized in sections below. Select a section to reveal its resources.
Fortification Program Best Practices
- Regulatory Monitoring of National Food Fortification Programs: A Policy Guidance Document
- Evidence, status and lessons learned in grain fortification
Tsang BT, Pachón H. Sight and Life, Rice Fortification in Latin America. 150-157. 2017
Public Health Evidence for Fortification
- Effect and safety of salt iodization to prevent iodine deficiency disorders: a systematic review with meta-analyses.
Aburto N, Abudou M, Candeias V, Wu T. Effect and safety of salt iodization to prevent iodine deficiency disorders: a systematic review with meta-analyses. WHO eLibrary of Evidence for Nutrition Actions (eLENA). Geneva: World Health Organization; 2014.
- Evidence of the effectiveness of flour fortification programs on iron status and anemia: a systematic review. Nutr Rev. 2015 Nov;73(11):780-95.
Pachón H, Spohrer R, Mei Z, Serdula M. Nutr Rev. 2015 Nov;73(11):780-95.
- Folic acid to reduce neonatal mortality form neural tube disorders
Blencowe H, Cousens S, Modell B, Lawn J. International Journal of Epidemiology. April 2010 (suppl_1):i110-i121.
- Impact of folic acid fortification of flour on neural tube defects: a systematic review
Castillo-Lancellotti C, Tur JA, Uauy R. Public Health Nutr. 2013 May;16(5):901-11. doi: 10.1017/S1368980012003576. Review. Erratum in: Public Health Nutr. 2013 Aug;16(8):1527
- Summary: Fortifying Flour with Folic Acid to Prevent Neural Tube Defects
Food Fortification Initiative (FFI). Atlanta, USA. 2017.
Fortification Advocacy and Endorsements
- International Association of Operative Millers: A Resolution in Support of the Flour Fortification Initiative, 2003
- World Food Programme Executive Board policy regarding fortification, Rome, 24–26 May 2004
- European Commission Food Fortification Global Mapping Study 2016
- The Arusha Statement on Food Fortification
- The Lagos Statement on Nigeria Food Fortification
- Large Scale Food Fortification in India: The Journey So Far and Road Ahead
- The #FutureFortified Global Summit on Food Fortification: Event Proceedings and Recommendations for Food Fortification Programs
- Second Copenhagen Consensus (2008): Micronutrient Fortification Best Practice
Horton S, Mannar V, Wesley A. Micronutrient Fortification (Iron and Salt Iodization). Best Practice Paper: New Advice from CC08. 2008.
- Third Copenhagen Consensus (2012): Challenge Paper on Hunger and Malnutrition
Hoddinott J, Rosegrant M, Torero M. Investments to reduce hunger and undernutrition. April 9, 2012.
- Grain Fortification to Address the Sustainable Development Goals
- North American Teratology Society resolution on folic acid fortification (2014)
- FAO policy statement: Fortification of food with micronutrients. (2003)